Employment – Acoustical Consultant - Grand Rapids, MI
ABD Engineering & Design is seeking an early-career acoustical consultant for our Grand Rapids, MI office. Read more in the position summary and qualifications.
Acoustical Consultant – Grand Rapids, MI
We are looking for an early career acoustical consultant who takes ownership, enjoys learning in a collaborative environment, and builds trust with coworkers and clients. Our acoustics team addresses noise isolation, HVAC noise and vibration, environmental noise, and room acoustics in a wide variety of projects including healthcare, education, industrial, worship, corporate, outdoor, and more.
ABD Engineering & Design is a woman-owned acoustical consulting and audiovisual design firm with offices in Grand Rapids, MI and Portland, OR. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer competitive salaries based on qualifications. Benefits include paid time off, nine paid holidays, eighty hours of paid sick leave, health and dental insurance, commuter benefits, a retirement plan, life and disability insurance, and a flexible work schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Read and review architectural, mechanical, structural plans, and noise codes and consult on space design, sound isolation, environmental/transportation noise, and building systems noise control.
- Provide constructible, affordable, and aesthetically pleasing solutions.
- Measure and analyze the impact of noise and vibration on interior and exterior environments and verify acoustical compliance with noise ordinances, building codes, standards, and ANSI guidelines.
- Attend meetings, internal as well as with clients and prospects as needed.
- Write technical reports and explain technical concepts to clients.
- Manage projects, client expectations, and deadlines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to think creatively.
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Experience with sound and vibration test equipment.
- Solid understanding of acoustic principles and real-world application of building and environmental acoustics.
- Experience in AutoCAD systems and acoustical modeling software including EASE, HVAC Noise Modeling software, SoundPLAN, Cadna-A, or equivalent.
- Rigorous data processing and analysis skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and outstanding teaming skills.
- Willingness to be flexible, performing responsibilities not specifically identified in the job description and assuming new responsibilities as ABD’s needs change.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Availability to relocate to our office in Grand Rapids, MI.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architectural Acoustics, Engineering, Physics, or related field with emphasis on acoustics.
- 0-5 years of experience in acoustical consulting, acoustical engineering, or related occupation.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Please send your resume to: Melinda Miller, Principal Engineer.