Employment – Senior Acoustical Consultant/Engineer
ABD Engineering & Design, Inc. is seeking a Senior Acoustical Consultant/Engineer, located in Portland, OR. Read more for the job description and qualifications.
As a Senior Acoustical Consultant/Engineer at ABD Engineering & Design, you’ll provide project management and consult on a diverse range of high-profile projects. You will design and engineer acoustical solutions for optimizing acoustical performance as well as controlling, isolating, and mitigating vibration and structure-borne, HVAC, equipment generated, and environmental noise. You’ll work with a team of professional engineers solving acoustical challenges in a wide variety of projects including healthcare, education, industrial, religious, workplace, outdoor, and more.
If you like working in a fast paced, collaborative environment where you can put your acoustical knowledge and expertise into practice, and you have the following qualifications and experience, send your resume to: Melinda Miller, Principal Engineer.
ABD Engineering & Design is one of the nation’s leading independent acoustical consulting and audiovisual design firms. Our offices in Grand Rapids, MI and Portland, OR allow us to serve our clients across the country, and around the world.
Our consultants provide AV design and acoustical consulting services to: architects, engineers, facility directors, municipalities, and building owners. Our acoustics team includes acoustical consultants, acoustical engineers, noise consultants, and vibration consultants. Our integrated team of audiovisual consultants design audio, video, and conference room systems, to integrate with the native acoustical environment.
As an independent consulting, engineering, and design firm, ABD Engineering & Design performs consulting services only, and does not manufacture, sell, or install any products. This enables us to offer objective recommendations for our clients’ projects.
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Read and review architectural, mechanical, structural plans, and noise codes and consult on space design, sound isolation, environmental/transportation noise, and building systems noise control.
- Provide constructible, affordable, and aesthetically pleasing solutions.
- Measure and analyze the impact of noise and vibration on interior and exterior environments and verify acoustical compliance with noise ordinances, building codes, standards, and ANSI guidelines.
- Attend meetings, internal as well as with clients and prospects as needed.
- Write technical reports and explain technical concepts to clients, lead seminars and presentations to prospects and clients, and publish technical papers on acoustical topics.
- Provide internal marketing support for blogs, proposals, and budgets.
- Supervise and manage acoustical consultants and other support staff as needed.
- Manage projects, client expectations, and deadlines.
- Read industry periodicals and attend necessary training to stay current on industry trends and standards and maintain certifications and licenses.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to think creatively.
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Expertise with sound and vibration test equipment, preferably Larson-Davis.
- Expert witness and land use application process experience are highly desirable.
- Solid understanding of acoustic principles and real-world application of building and environmental acoustics.
- Aware of sustainable design principles – preferably LEED AP certification.
- Proficient in AutoCAD systems and acoustical modeling software including EASE, TRANE Acoustics Program (TAP), CATT, SoundPLAN, Cadna-A, or equivalent.
- Rigorous data processing and analysis skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and outstanding teaming skills.
- Willingness to be flexible, performing responsibilities not specifically identified in the job description and assuming new responsibilities as ABD’s needs change.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Availability to relocate to our office in Portland, Oregon.
- Bachelors or Post-Graduate Degree in Architectural Acoustics, Engineering, Physics, or related field with emphasis on acoustics.
- Eight to ten years of experience in acoustical consulting, acoustical engineering, or related occupation – licensed as a Professional Engineer or INCE Board Certification.
Email your resume and salary requirements to: Melinda Miller, Principal Engineer.