Employment – Senior AV Consultant - Grand Rapids, MI
ABD Engineering & Design is seeking a senior AV consultant for our Grand Rapids, MI office. Read more in the position summary and qualifications.
Senior AV Consultant – Grand Rapids, MI
We seek an experienced audiovisual consultant looking to develop a leadership role, build client relationships and expand our AV offerings alongside our core acoustical consulting work. Our audiovisual consulting work includes a wide variety of systems and infrastructure design, planning, peer review, analysis and modeling for architects and AECs, facilities owners and institutions, with a focus on education, healthcare, corporate, conference and hospitality, worship, performing arts, and large venue spaces.
ABD Engineering & Design is a woman-owned acoustical consulting and audiovisual design firm with offices in Grand Rapids, MI and Portland, OR. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer competitive salaries based on qualifications. Benefits include paid time off, nine paid holidays, eighty hours of paid sick leave, health and dental insurance, commuter benefits, a retirement plan, life and disability insurance, and a flexible work schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Build effective, lasting client relationships and bring in new project work for both AV and acoustics teams.
- Provide needs analysis, programming, and budgeting services. Produce written reports, sketches, and budget worksheets.
- Mediate and advocate for client, owner, and user needs. Find balance of performance, user experience, aesthetics, and cost.
- Attend conceptual design charettes, program meetings, design review and coordination meetings.
- Provide project management duties for all project phases and types.
- Manage design and project budgets.
- Produce concept, schematic, design, and construction documentation for a variety of project delivery methods – including design-bid-build, partnered design-build, IPD.
- Produce drawings, details, schematics. Write specification and provide selection of equipment for bidding.
- Provide internal QA/QC of all project documentation.
- Improve processes and develop resources to improve our documentation and efficiencies.
- Attend project site visits, field inspections and punchlist/checkout sessions.
- Provide analysis of bids and recommendations of award.
- Respond to all project issues and RFIs. Provide review of submittal documents, including product, engineered documents, UX/UI design submittals and guide content and custom software development.
- Provide post-construction support and ongoing relationship support.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Confidence and drive to develop valued relationships. Good public speaking skills.
- Strong grasp of consultant’s role in project team and ability to balance and manage expectations and deliver value to all project stakeholders.
- Desire to grow the audiovisual practice, manage and mentor design and production staff.
- Understanding of division of scope and ability to document roles between trades.
- Understanding of IP networks, network topologies, and physical infrastructure, as well as roles and concerns of various IT stakeholders.
- Understanding of current and emerging audiovisual and experiential technologies.
- Ability to design large venue audio, display, video and audio routing networks and control systems.
- Solid understanding of acoustic principles and real-world application of building and environmental acoustics.
- Solid grasp of Autodesk Revit 2019 and later BIM modeling, AutoCAD 2016 and later to facilitate production, collaborative coordination and QA/QC review.
- Experience using Bluebeam Revu software for markup, sketching and online collaboration & review.
- Experience using EASE modeling software, as well as various manufacturer modelling software (Modeler, ArrayCalc, Danley Direct, etc.)
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking, project management and business development skills.
- Rigorous data processing and analysis skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and outstanding teaming skills.
- Willingness to be flexible, performing responsibilities not specifically identified in the job description and assuming new responsibilities as ABD’s needs change.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Ability to relocate to our office in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- 12+ years of experience as a consulting engineer/designer and project manager with majority of focus on large audio, display, video and integrated controls design.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technology, Engineering, Physics, or related experience in the field of work.
- AVIXA CTS-D certification.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Please send your resume to: Marci Boks, Chief Operating Officer.