Conference and Convention Center
Once completed, this state of the art facility had a troublesome transformer noise and vibration issue that left many of the conference rooms unusable. ABD Engineering & Design’s engineers were called in to troubleshoot the issue to identify the root cause of the difficult problem. We completed detailed noise measurements on a series of similarly sized transformers here and at other facilities for comparison. It was determined that the brand new transformers were defective and required replacement. The new transformer cores were significantly quieter and vibration free.
Architect’s Challenge: Provide a convention and exhibit facility that increases the ability of the Grand Center to attract new and larger groups, maintain the current growing businesses, and more readily serve multiple events.
- Over 1-million square foot, state-of-the-art convention and exhibition facility that will meet the needs of major users, now and into the future.
- Function spaces are enlarged and reorganized to increase convenience and ease of use for both the public and the exhibitor.
- Major components of the expansion and renovation include 150,000 square feet of column free exhibit space, a 40,000 square foot sub divisible ballroom, 35,000 square feet of flexible meeting rooms, and a parking garage.
- A Grand Gallery will link the Grand River through the convention center to a main downtown plaza.
- Each end will be a front door